Random words on the page, speak of broken dreams and pent-up rage, spilling out ink from the pen, burn it all, start again.
- Bold Like Black

09 April, 2011

Holding onto the Muse

Let me tell you something about my mum, her sensitivity frequency is on a constant PMS ride.
I can't keep up anymore. I refuse! I quit, actually.
So today she was feeling disheartened about her writing. I don't know why. Well, maybe I do. But  I can't be sure. Anyway she's been obsessing over the beginning chapter of her manuscript. It's been bugging her nonstop so in an effort to get rid of it, she's been coming up with so many different beginnings, it's starting to bug me. Not in a bad way, more in the sense that, she keeps obsessing over it to the nth degree that she's not progressing forward. And thing is, she's coming up with so many different ideas, she's finding it hard to settle on the right one.

Anyway, she was on the Absolute Write forums, another great resource for writers, and she was looking over her first chapter she'd submitted for feedback etc. This was back in January, when she'd finished the first version of her manuscript. Anyway, she found the chapter and the feedback there, and there was another comment, more recent. And in there, the lady, well, i'm presuming it was a lady, basically reiterated what others had previously said of them wanting to see her revised version because they'd enjoyed it so much. But this particular lady compared her tone of writing to that of one my mum's favourite authors, Sherrilyn Kenyon. That comment alone made my mum so happy, I can't even begin to explain.

Whoever that lady is, I wish I could thank her in person. It's innocent comments like this that can really impact a person. In a most special way, it's amazing. I think writers at any given stage, sometimes go through what my mum constantly goes through, where they doubt themselves so much to the point of wanting to quit. And then there are the tiniest of signs, showing and telling them not to quit.

There's this quote, from one of my all time favourite anime's, Fruits Basket.
I highly recommend it!

Anyway in it, the character, Yuki, he says:

"Even the smallest of words can be the ones that hurt you or save you."
I think that's so true.I mean people can give big inspirational speeches that can help people the world over. But that's not really it, is it? You just need the right words, to set someone at ease.
This lady, that's what she's unconciously done for my mum.

=)

Anyway, nothing else to report from todays happenings.
Hope everyones weekends are going spectacular!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment