Random words on the page, speak of broken dreams and pent-up rage, spilling out ink from the pen, burn it all, start again.
- Bold Like Black

10 April, 2011

New habits?

So i'm trying to get myself into the habit of writing without editing.
i'm very neurotic when it comes to editing right after i've written a sentence or paragraph. And I hate it because i'm constantly going over the same things until i've rubbed the thing raw with edits to the point I can no longer stand to look at it. I write semi-fast, when I do decide to write, without bringing out my obnoxious, goddess of procastination half. I can manage 5000 words or more in a day. What gets my goat is my editing process, which I've come to the conclusion is the reason as to why I can never get past my writers block.

If I spent half as much time writing as I do editing, I could write a chapter and a half a day. So with this revelation I shall attempt to do the impossible.Ignore the squiggly green and red lines on Microsoft Word, everytime I make a mistake. *cringes* and curb impulses to edit right after i've written something *cringes with goose bumps*


So today i'm attempting to finish chapter 2 of the novel, and maybe, just maybe get a start on chapter 3. Let's see if I can do this or not.
Okay so todays goal is:

  1.  Still, finish first goal: break 5000 word marker.
  2. After 5000 word marker, chuck out OCD about 'editing'
  3. Finish chapter 2.
  4. Praise the lord, because you've done it. 6000 words
  5. Attempt to focus.
  6. Implement BICHOK
  7. Remind self, BICHOK stands for: BUTT IN CHAIR, HANDS ON KEYBOARD.
  8. Take a break? Have a KitKat.
  9. Wonder if you've edited anything you've written today?
  10.  Frown, because everyone around you is asleep, then realize it's past 2am.

So, what's everyone's writing plan for today? ;)
Happy writings!

1 comment:

  1. The best advice I can give is: write, write, write… wait until you’re done to edit. At least for me, editing kills my motivation and creative juices for a WIP. Keep a note pad of relevant names, places, and events so you can add them quickly. But ride the wave of that excitement of composition, envision where you’re going, immerse yourself in your story, see it, live it then compose it.
    The better you can see (in your mind’s eye) your story, the better it will translate onto the page, and the end result will be a vibrant world, and character that come alive.

    Finish a piece of work before you worry about editing, and plot. A story (if it is good) will have plot naturally in it.

    Move forward or you’re moving backwards… I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find the best way (at least for you) to craft a book.

    ReplyDelete